Sunday 7 June 2015

June 7 Keebeck Day 2

Today we first headed out to the ERQ Church here in Quebec City. We arrived and walked in and were greeted with Bonjour! We said (in our naive Canadian accent) "Hello! they turned to English and directed us to our pew. One of the ushers immediately summoned his wife to come over and talk to us, her maiden name was Jelsma, she explained she was originally from Burlington Waterdown Church! She quickly gave us an update of the ERQ, family, and we felt more at home. The first thing I noticed was the elements for Lords supper at a table at the front of the Church. I quickly asked the ushers if I needed to see an elder or pastor about joining Lords supper (with my travel attestation in my back pocket) The pastor here is Bernard Westerveld, who did come over and introduce himself and indicated no a personal attest was sufficient. He then opened up the service with a somewhat casual (off the pulpit) welcome to all. So naturally we did not understand the language but still felt at home worshipping with fellow Francophones. We could sing along with familiar tunes, we thought we did pretty good mouthing out the French words. They had a guest preacher, Pastor Jason Zuidema, from the St Paul ERQ, who only preached the sermon. The strange thing we noticed was he and his wife and young children left immediately after the sermon was done well before we had communion and the end of the service. We never did ask anyone why, but my watch indicated the service was almost 2 hours long! (maybe he had to be back in time for his own Churches afternoon service. Being as long a service as it was, as we were walking out, a white robed woman came walking into the sanctuary!! I then realized that the ERQ was renting this facility from the Anglican Church. I thought about quoting Paul about women in the Church but decided better as there was a long line of men in the lobby waiting for all the ERQ members to exit :)We joined the congregation for a coffee social downstairs. I will say that the ERQ, PCA, OPC Churches we have visited so far on our trip; all seem to be somewhat more "relaxed" in preaching, dress, comfort in the pew; what I mean by this is openness in their actions from the pulpit to the pew. Its kinda hard to put into words, but maybe i'll say it this way; our Canadian Reformed Churches are  bit on the "stiff'" side. I think we could use a bit of "loosening" up. Now maybe that has something to do with the Dutch tradition (European?) not sure....To that end we have met many true believers in our travels.
After changing into my shorts in the front seat of my pickup (yes I did), we drove to the downtown core of Keebeck City (ok Church was over I can revert back :)). We started by walking the lower section of the old city, then took the venicular (French for rail tram, I think) up to the entrance to the Chateau Frontenac. From there we took the boardwalk around the old Citadel. We could've taken the 5 minute shortcut but decided to take the 30 minute long route. Checked out the Citadel but decided not to take the guided tour as it was Sunday AND the changing of the guard doesn't start until after St Baptiste day later in June (yes Casey you were right, we are missing some of the interactive things like changing of the guards as we are still a bit early in this part of the country for these things)
We walked through the St Louis gate and into the old town up top. Lots of nice old buildings and history. On the way back I did pay attention that the roads around the city are actually pretty good contrary to the highways.
A good day in Keebeck
 reminded us of Europe




 just a cool looking thing to shoot
 changing of the guard!!

 the reason the for was built

 the plains of Abraham (ok do your own google)

 the Venicular taking us from the lower Old town to the upper Old town

 the Chateau Frontenac

 a gorgeous lobby


 the entrance to the actual Fort

 this was the boardwalk we inadvertently took instead of the "shortcut". Oh well, it was 20 degrees and a nice walk

 so we get to the end of the wall of the fort and we see this very long line of people waiting (you may need to blow it up to see the line of people) to get into the parliament building. Thinking "ok why?" I asked a young couple passing by. He says "it is the lying in state of Jacques Parizeau" giving me this dumb ass look as if I just came in from British Columbia!! I was ready to say to him "ok you smarty pants Frenchman! I know I don't speak Francais, but c'mon give me a break, I have been out of touch for a bit on this long trip OK. I really didn't  know that this leader of Separatism had passed away so give me some chain OK? Anyways, that's what the lineup was.

 top of the St Louis gate, entrance to the old city.

 from below

 the Quebecois decided since there was a Notre Dame in France, they had to copy one for themselves; this is it. Still pretty cool

Wesley Basilica inside the fort. I noticed on the sign in front they hold English services here

1 comment:

  1. I figured you'd run into that lineup. Should have warned you. The ERQ service sounds neat - glad you could join them. I'm glad the weather is warming up for you. Shorts even! Enjoy speaking French Caroline!

    ReplyDelete