Monday 15 June 2015

June 15 Netherlands

Ok so we're in Holland Michigan :). This morning we left Dunnville, home of the "Mudcats"; we got on the road by 8:30, the earliest start on this trip since our target was Grand Rapids, a 5 hour 45 minute MapQuest drive. The weather started out somewhat foggy as we made our way over to the 401. As we shifted over to the 402 the sun poked through a couple times; the 402 is the route to Port Huron, the best route to Grand Rapids. As we got close to the border we all of a sudden saw the long line up of trucks. We figured at least 300-400 long!! First we came up to a long lineup for a toll; I guess the Ontario government was gonna get us one more time!! Then as we got through the toll a nice six lane bridge with construction that brought it down to 2!! We got to the US border, the female "guard" asked us the normal questions, but then got to the food. Fruit, veggies; yah ok. Then a strange one: do you have any eggs? I said yes I think I had a couple. She asked how long before we got back into Canada; I said about a month. She looked into the skies and thought for a moment and said i'll need to take them due to the avian flu. Really?? You're gonna take tomorrows breakfast away from me?? I smiled and led her into the rig and opened the fridge to retrieve my breaky. And then she asked me if I wanted the carton back? I smiled before I turned around and said politely no. I mean are you kidding me? No questions on any purchases, booze, just eggs??
The roads were hit and miss, some good stretches, some bad. I sure hope it gets better the further west we go :(
As we got closer to Grand Rapids, I was still feeling good for already being on the road for 7 hours so we decided to load up at the Costco. Just before we got off he expressway though I hit a rainstorm I had never witnessed before; I literally had to slow to 30 MPH and put my 4 way flashers on. I couldn't believe how hard it was raining. We had booked a place in Holland right before this so we thought a nice break was needed as well. This Costco had lots of organic stuff, a good score :)
We got to our spot with always some trepidation as we never get to see the parks we reserve in advance. Well were we pleasantly surprised. Not only are we in Dutch country, but the park is one of the best. Its also the first park we have been to with a concrete pad! AND the owners are Dutch!! Nothing like being at home :)
Some tidbits:
This is the longest stretch ive driven in one day; just over 700 km's and over 8.5 hours
We just crossed over 20,000 KM's since we left Palm Springs March 23rd
369 hours od driving so far since Palm Springs (which includes day trips from our spots)
 a very nice spot. it is owned by the Vandenberg's. I haven't met them yet but the staff was very helpful. we arrive at 5:20, 20 minutes after the office was supposed to close. The lady was just turning off the lights when I showed up and promptly said c'mon in and checked us in.

 We're in Holland and Zeeland is next door!

 the sign says it all

 on #402 toward the border tons off windmills

 I have never seen such a long lineup of trucks ready to cross the border. Im sure many were really ticked off. I asked the attendant at the toll, she gave the classic answer "I have no idea whats happening at the border" (10 minutes after the toll)

1 comment:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete