Monday 1 June 2015

June 1: The home stretch! Some facts and figures

This morning we left Rayport RV Park in Martins River and headed North to Baddeck which is on Cape Breton Island. I had to wait to take off as the park had no sewer outlet by our spot; they come along with a pump truck to "suck" out the crap; I had requested he stop by 8:45 but lo and behold 9:30 and he hadn't shown up. I found the old guy and pointed at my watch (in only a way I know how) and he smiled, apologized, and was over in 5 minutes. Once sucked up we were on our way.
We had debated whether to stop somewhere in between but since it was raining we decided to head to Baddeck; it was a longer drive than most but there really isn't much to see in between, the landscape off the water is fairly barren and flat. Last night it rained ALL night long; the little river behind our rig was noticeably higher this morning. I woke a number of times not so much from the rain; its when the large drops from branches splat the roof which makes the most noise. I need to pay attention at every park from here on in to stay away from over hanging branches!
The drive was good, 4 lanes till we got half way between Truro and Cape Breton; very noticeable this end of Canada is sparsely populated so no need for 4 lane highways. Little more nervous as big semi's going the other way at 110 KPH! it spitted the whole way but roads were relatively dry.
We arrived at Baddeck Cabot Trail RV park; very nice German couple were very helpful in finding us a nice spot with a nice view. A galashe vine my reward for a good drive.
OH, our third mishap today. If you remember the first was pulling away on our very first unhitch in Phoenix with my tailgate up (where I put a nice dent in my tailgate); our second was leaving behind our outside carpet somewhere in Florida; well this morning my carpet was soaken wet from the rain last night so I rolled it up and even bungie coarded it and put it in the box of the truck. Well about 10 minutes down the highway I caught something dark moving in my right side mirror; I saw our carpet gently landing on the side of the highway!! There were narrow shoulders, so I thought a $19 Wallmart special really wasn't worth it to back for. Aah the joys of RV'ing.
As the heading suggests, some facts and figures;
We left Palm Springs March 23
Flew back home March 25 for Kees's funeral from Phoenix
Flew back March 28 to Phoenix and stayed the weekend
March 30 we headed out
May 8 flew back from NYC
May 15 flew back to NYC
Number of days driving so far: 61
Number of KM's driven from PS: 15,000, we are 2/3 of the way home. I did a quick mapquest and we are 7500 KM's from home! The good part is we have 47 days to do this. According to mapquest it will take 78 hours to drive this, an average of 1.67 hours for 47 days.
 the day started off wet, kept the speed down

 our oldest grand daughter, Kenzie, should get a kick out of this: "Mom, was I named after a city??"

 a man made land bridge joining Cape Breton Island to the mainland

 a good spot for our base

 looking West as we are driving across man made highway to Cape Breton


1 comment:

  1. 61 Days! - Hard to believe! Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete