Monday 25 May 2015

May 25 Belfast maine

We left our concrete pad this morning in Salem and headed for Belfast Maine. We could sure see the traffic heading back into Boston South as we drove North, the Memorial day long weekend was in full swing as many campers headed back to Boston. The roads were good and bad. Seems again each county is responsible for their own section of highways. Maine is good. And more toll booths! After listening to Martin my bother in law; he suggested to go into the Fast pass lane and simply wait for them to mail you the invoice (they Apparently mail you a bill); Martin says I shouldn't receive any! Cool.
After driving on I95 we headed East on #1 which is more coastal, only problem is more stoplights; I HATE stoplights; pulling 9 tons of trailer this is the only thing I don't like; braking. With my turbocharged 800 horsepower fire breathing dragon of an engine, I can drag any punk off the line pulling my rig; ok just kidding, but I have gotten some looks from the guys in the left lane as they SLOWLY pull past me as I've got it floored. Couple guys have given me the thumbs up! NICE.
Not once have I seen warning lights that flash that the light ahead is going to turn red. Most of the time I've got the cruise control at the posted speed limit; when I see a light coming I move my foot from the very relaxed position to the right of the gas pedal over to about 2 inches away from the brake pedal!! I try and find the little indicator light at the intersection to the right which indicates how many seconds pedestrians have to clear the cross walk but on the side highways they don't have them. I try and look for when our light turned green which should give my lane lots of time, right?? NOT! Even today Caroline said "just run the red light!!" What?? I told her I'm a law abiding RV'er who will not take any chances (and I don't, I have learned on this trip to be cautious and relaxed behind the wheel; cant wait to get back into my Infinity for a blast :)
We made it to our next location; Moorings RV park in Belfast, and boy what a nice surprise! We try to get a spot in the Passport America listed parks, or even Good Sam; bit this one Caroline had googled and didn't show up in either. Was a little more than what we've paid, but LOCATION LOCATION LOCATION!!  I mean we have a quiet park, only 5 overnighters and about 5 seasonal who are not here yet out of 50 spots. Nice.
After our well deserved glass of wine after setting up (Caroline my trusty side kick who does her job in 5 minutes and me in 4!) we relaxed to enjoy the view from our patio; and wow what a view. Waterfront exclusive property at a fraction of the cost.
We headed into the small village of Belfast and explored; this is another quaint town on the ocean and not nearly as busy as the Salem/Boston area. Quaint little shops with very reasonable prices; added to my collection of mugs and hats and teeshirts. Caroline keeps asking me where im going to put al these mugs; I simply tell her "my office". I may well have to buy two floor to ceiling bookcases to accommodate them all. Walked the local boardwalk, did some local organic grocery shopping at the local coop, then we headed back. We were told about a great place to eat seafood (East Coast, seafood, LOBSTER!!!!) not far from our spot; it is called Youngs Lobster Pound (yes, you do buy the lobster by the pound). Well what a treat! You not only get to pick what you want; lobster, clams, shrimp, and even raw oysters), but you can pick whatever combination you want; as well as what size of lobster. Weeeell, we were in Lobster heaven (sorry for those staunch Canadian Reformed back benchers :)). We chose a "basket" which had (you guessed it) lobster, raw oyster, clams, mussels, AND corn on the cob and tons of butter to dip all of these delicacies into our mouths!! What a feast! And we were also told we could bring our own wine!!! We had just picked up two bottles of wine at the Coop so the timing couldn't have been better.
Oh, I didn't mention yesterday was Carolines birthday; this was her treat and she thoroughly enjoyed every minute of it (I did too :)). After all it was Sunday yesterday and even though we are on holidays, we try and avoid supporting our "mail and female servant" wherever possible.
A very good day!
 a great view on the ocean

 we visited a nearby state park sanctuary

 a typical "saltbox" new England home; and believe me, there are tons of them here on the east Coast

 main street in Belfast

 Caroline "peering" in before actually going in (I think this is a woman thing) Men know exactly what store they're going in, finding the item, buying it, and getting out as quickly as possible so they can go golfing, or mow the lawn, or simply grabbing a beer and relaxing on the patio; right guys??

 ok this is THE largest boat crane (well this is what the RV park owner told me) on the East Coast. It can actually lift 440 ton of boat out of the water!! Ok I did the calculator for you already; that's 880,000 POUNDS of boat!!

 the haaaaabah in Belfast

 yes I grabbed the lobster of MY choice and I actually kissed him (Caroline missed the kiss but I reeeeealy did kiss him. right on his Shnaushaaaa!!)

 doesn't she looked squeamish?? (its that's certain smile I've come accustomed too; love you sweetie)

 and what else goes good with lobster, clams, mussels, and oysters?? a good $4.99 bottle of wine from the local Coop! makes me wonder why I spend $40.00 for a bottle at a restaurant :(

 ok here's the question: whats missing?? hee hee

 the feast finished :)

 all the workers here threw us off; we were expecting Baaaaastan accents; they were all Jamaican! I kibitzed with him and spoke their language (only Canadians can do this with a straight face! Ha)

 relaxing after a very good day

 had to get one with my beautiful wife on the beach :) (ok ok we did finish a bottle of wine)

No comments:

Post a Comment