Wednesday 20 May 2015

May 20 Nantucket

After a rainy day yesterday (I did get my oil change done at a local Dodge dealership) we planned to visit Nantucket. It started off a little hectic as we noticed after sleeping in a bit we needed to catch the high speed ferry scheduled for 11AM; we had 45 minutes which we knew would be tight. After rushing and dropping off Caroline off at the terminal, I needed to park reeeeal quick. I found a lot across the street but as I was running (I had 4 minutes I was told to get back to catch the ferry), and seeing no attendant I kept on running what felt like an 800 meter dash. Needless to say I was running out of steam quick. Then I saw a ferry attendant motioning what looked first like hurry. Then realized he was using the sign to slow down; I now apparently had lots of time. Well we were still the last ones on and they had mentioned to Caroline they would hold the ferry for me! 5 attendants were very impressed with my speed for a grey bearded guy; I told them I thought I would now enter the Seniors Olympics! :)
After a 45 minute high speed ride we arrived in the port of Nantucket and began our explore; we first started walking the dock area and came to a booth which offered a narrative tour of the island which we took. The history dates back to the 1600's where the island was first inhabited and claimed by the British (who else!). It became a huge whaling port initially, then a sheep island, then a cranberry mecca, now a real tourist trap. It was fairly busy in our eyes; I can well imagine how crazy it starts getting after Memorial day weekend which is this next weekend.
The island has 4 golf courses, 3 of which are private. One has an initial initiation fee some 15 years ago for $100,000.00 (yes that's correct) with only 200 memberships bought. A member cant will it, gift it; when they die they simply lose it. They then hold an auction. The last auction 3 years ago netted $1,000,000.00 for the membership!!! Now that's what I call reeealy exclusive. Homes on the water here go in the $10-15 million range. And we thought West Van $15 mil was expensive. And the largest home was maybe around 8-9 thousand square feet.
After the tour we went shoppe! Bought some neat stuff. There aren't many restaurants in the town, we found a little pub and had an early dinner.
One thing to note also, there are no Starbucks, Mcdonalds, Lowes, Home depot; no chain establishments. Nantucket has made a point to allow original business's to continue to flourish; many have been kept in the family for many generations. Kinda nostalgic I think.
After a 45 minute fast ferry back, I kept thinking my truck might have been towed since I hadn't paid. Well after walking the 800 meters back I met the attendant in the lot before I got to my truck and gave him the sob story about rushing and not finding anyone.....he said no problem "we usually give one warning|". I paid him promptly and headed back home to watch a nice sunset on the lake . A busy but good day.
 Nantuckets welcome sign

 these houses here along the waterfront in the core of the town sell for over $3 million dollars!!!

 the oldest house in Nantucket, built in the 1600's

 $1,000,000.00 membership for this golf course. Apparently they have a caddie school which according to the bus driver has taught many PGA tour caddies (i'll have to check this fact out)

 very quaint streets in the downtown core

 all the houses must have cedar shake siding or clapboard. Very consistent but not much uniqueness

 for 150 years this was the whaling capitol of the world

 on the point entering the harbor sits the smallest lighthouse in the United States

No comments:

Post a Comment